Review: Hawke Laser Range Finder Hunter 400
PUBLISHED: 13:06 20 March 2019
I spy with my laser eye, something brand new from Hawke Optics
This exciting little Hawke Laser Range Finder Hunter 400 unit is going to be a real hot seller for 2019. It’s compact, extremely accurate and a doddle to use, all for less than £150!
Using a rangefinder while out hunting gives you instant access to the vital information, which might determine whether or not you decide to take that all-important shot.
A quick look through this device will tell you, within a metre of accuracy, exactly how far away your intended target is, so you can either plan to take the shot from where you are, or you could use the information to edge yourself closer.
The unit is tiny, barely larger than a tin of pellets, so it fits into your pocket, no problem. The waterproof carry pouch has a nifty magnetic catch on it, rather than Velcro, which means you can take it out of the pouch without making a sound – a really nice touch for all you hunters out there.
It’s got the lot
There are three modes to choose from;
• ‘Standard’ mode measures the straight line distance to the target you are aiming at. When there is nothing displayed in the Targeting Modes area of the on-screen display (to the left of the distance) you are in standard mode.
If you hold the ON button while in standard mode, the rangefinder will continuously scan so you can move around and get constant updates of the distance.
• ‘Hunt’ mode measures the straight line distance to the target, but ignores any interference from long grass or brush that stands between you and the target, so it’s ideal for measuring the distance to a rabbit that’s hopping through long grass, or a pigeon perched on a branch in dense woodland.
• There’s even a ‘Rain’ mode that measures the straight line distance to the target, but ignores any interference from falling raindrops. The target distance must be more than 30m/33 yards away.
• Fully multi-coated optical system – BK-7 prisms
• 6x magnification and an adjustable dioptre
• Ergonomically designed to fit in your hand
• Lightweight and compact construction
• Standard/Rain/Hunt mode – accurate to +/- 1m
• Auto shut-off battery-save feature
Range (distance): 6-400m
Lens Coating: Multi Anti-Reflective
Field of view: m@1000m/ft@1000yds 140m/420ft
Filed of view angle: 8º
Eye relief: 12mm/0.5
Battery: CR2 - 3V
Operating temperature: -10º to 40º
Waterproof rating: IPx4
The Laser Range Finder Hunter 400 costs £149 and comes supplied in a really sturdy box complete with a Duracell Ultimate Lithium battery, carry case, wrist strap and lens cloth. For more information, visit uk.hawkeoptics.com.